Recipe : Rhea Goods’ Apple, Squash, and Caramelized Onion Black Garlic Marmalade Galette
The Post Supply is honored to partner with our favorite chefs, makers and bakers to bring you our favorite recipes for gathering this season in partnership with Treehouse.
Check out our other featured recipes from Wonder Valley and stay tuned for more from Salad for President.
Rhea Goods’ Apple, Squash, and Caramelized Onion Black Garlic Marmalade Galette
by Abbye Churchill
Makes 1 12” galette and 1 crust dough for another day
2 c. All purpose flour
½ c. Buckwheat flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
16 tbs. Unsalted butter
½ c. Ice water (plus 1 tablespoons)
1 Medium delicata squash
3 tbs. Olive oil
1 Medium onion
2 tbs. Butter
½ tbs. Apple cider vinegar
1 tbs. Rhea Goods The Deep Black Garlic Concentrate
1 Medium apple, peeled and sliced into ¼” half moons
Goat cheese spread
1 ½ c. Soft goat cheese
1 tsp. Fresh thyme
Cracked pepper to taste
To make the crust…
- To make the crust, whisk both flours, sugar, and salt together.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture using the back of a fork to incorporate.
- Add the ice water 1 tbs. at a time until a firm mixture forms.
- Shape the dough into 2 balls and place them in the fridge while you assemble the rest of the ingredients. You will have enough for 2 galettes. If only making one galette, freeze the second ball for later date and thank yourself later!
To make the filling…
- Heat the oven to 350℉.
- Cut the delicata squash lengthwise and de-seed. Cut into ¼” half moon slices. Toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes and allow to cool completely.
- To make the caramelized onion black garlic marmalade. Cut the onion into thin strips (about ⅛”). Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the largest skillet you have. Once the butter is melted and beginning to foam, add the onions in a single layer. Lower heat to med-low. Don’t touch the onions for 5 minutes. Stir once and let them sit undisturbed for 5 more minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Cook the onions on low for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the edges start to crisp, add a few tablespoons of water. You’re looking for uniform brown to tawny colored onions. Add the apple cider vinegar and The Deep and stir to combine. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a separate bowl, combine the goat cheese, thyme, and a few good turns of pepper and mix. Set aside.
To assemble the galette…
Preheat the oven to 400℉.
Roll the chilled dough on a floured surface covered in parchment. Roll to approximately 14” in diameter. Transfer to a cookie sheet and chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.
Once chilled, spread the goat cheese in an even layer in the middle of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border all the way around the galette.
Top the goat cheese mixture with the caramelized onions and black garlic marmalade in an even layer.
Layer the squash and sliced apples in rings, alternating between squash and apple.
Fold the outer edges of the crust over the filling to create an edge to the galette. Chill the galette again for 10 minutes
Brush the galette edges with 1 tbs melted butter.
Put immediately in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes until the crust is golden brown.